Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Simon Book Review


Simon

Simon
By Michael Mullen

A modern day Hamlet for YA readers.
His father is dead. His mother has remarried. His uncle is . . . his new stepfather? When the ghost of Simon Elsinore's father returns and claims he was murdered by his own brother, the nineteen-year-old film student must determine what is true and exact the revenge his father demands. 

...........................................................................
MY REVIEW OF Simon

After Richard, Simon’s dad, dies unexpectedly, his mother marries Richard’s brother Charles. Simon can’t accept his uncle becoming his stepfather, and refuses to go to the wedding. When Simon sees his dad’s ghost telling him that he was murdered, Simon decides to do whatever it takes, to get justice for his dad’s death.

Simon was an interesting character, but he was the only one with that status. I sympathized with his emotions in what was happening to him. I wasn’t a fan of the way the story was told. It was a little confusing with the back and forth of the storytelling, but I understood the objective. I would have preferred not to know the ending before being able to follow the plot. It kept me from fully connecting to the characters. I did like the drama of the news casting though, with all the backstabbing going on. I enjoyed that bit of humor added to the story. 
...........................................................................

**The above opinions are 100% my own, whether I purchased the book or it was given to me to review.


Follow the Author


No comments:

Post a Comment