Sunday, March 30, 2014

How To Get More From Your Pinterest Feed

I absolutely love Pinterest. I compare it to relaxing with a favorite magazine or catalog. The only difference is that Pinterest is focused specifically on my likes, with no ads or prices to clutter and distract me.



I'll assume you all know how to navigate Pinterest already. You just do a search for the things and people you like, and then follow the boards that interest you.

Recently, I discovered another way to find pins and boards related to an interest instead of having to do a word search.  

This is an example of the word search. I'll do a search for "quilling", and this is what I get:


Pins related only to quilling. If you will notice the top left, there is a choice of Pins, Boards, and Pinners. It seems to search by pins as default. I can scroll through endless pins on this page. Now, if I click Boards, this is what I get:


I think you get the picture. The problem with the search method is that it only brings up the word you searched and nothing else. 

Now to the other way I have found to do this. It's more focused, and doesn't mess with your feed. Plus you are able to see other versions of your subject. For example, quilled cards (or anything), filigree, 3-D quilling, and so on. 

Refresh your feed. Now scroll down until you find something you would like to pin. Click on it and this is what you get:



At this point, you can go ahead and pin the image to your chosen board, but stay on this page for the time being.  Scroll down and you will see this:



It shows the person you pinned from, and the board to which they had pinned it. You should already be following the board, and possibly the person.

Below that, there is a list of other boards where the image has been pinned. Notice that the names are not just Quilling. You can follow any or all of them. After those you will see a bar that says SEE MORE BOARDS.  You can click this as many times as you want for more selections.

Last, you will see RELATED PINS. You can scroll through and pin as many as you desire. Also, you can restart this same process with any pin page you get.

When you tire of this subject, all you have to do is back up to your main feed, and continue your browsing. Or, just click on the Pinterest logo to update your feed.

One word of caution: If you follow two many of the same boards, you will start to get duplicates of pins. If that happens, just click on a few of the duplicates and unfollow them. It's as simple as that.



6 comments:

  1. Very helpful tutorial I pin quite a bit---surch a little but I have to limit myself or I'll be on there for HOURS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. But its the best wasted time ever, huh?

      Delete
  2. Thanks I pinned great fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I'm a fellow pinterest nut job. I love it and this is a great tutorial. Thanks! What the heck is quilling? I guess I'll head over to pinterest and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. Quilling is the art of rolling paper. Just do a search on it and you'll find out real quick about it. Its addictive.

      Delete